The King, the Queen and the Jester – Assemblee postmortem

It’s been a while since I last updated this devlog and in the meantime the assemblee competition has ended with 73 great entries including my own named The King, the Queen and the Jester. The voting took place between January 20th and February 3rd and the results can be found here. My entry managed to get the 9th place and I’m really happy with this achievement.

You can find the development thread for the game following the link:

http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=9770.0

A detailed review of the game was featured on Big Download and can be found at the following link:

http://news.bigdownload.com/2010/01/15/freeware-friday-the-king-the-queen-and-the-jester/

The competition version of the game can be downloaded from the following link:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2683196/The King, the Queen and the Jester.zip

Now I’ll resume development on the game but it may take a while before I release a new version since I intend to rewrite the rendering engine first. Meanwhile, you can read the mini postmortem I wrote for the competition version of the game that can be found after the jump.

Read the rest of this entry »

Assemblee Days 7 to 11

It’s been a while since the last update but now I can present the first implementation of the game’s battle system. It’s still missing visual feedbacks for the enemy attacks, defensive items like shields and ranged attacks but the core system is in place and these new additions should be easy to implement. Details about the combat system are available after the jump.

Read the rest of this entry »

Assemblee Days 5 and 6

I guess it is time for a new update. Not many new features in this update since I spent most of the time refactoring the rendering code but now I’m ready to start coding the monsters AI and combat.

Read the rest of this entry »

Assemblee Day 4

I’m back for today’s update and I’m really impressed at how fast I’m getting things done in this project. This is the first time I try to create a 3D game and I’m still learning a lot of OpenGL-related things but everything I had planned to do was simple and easy to implement. Let’s hope this continues until the competition deadline.

The new features for today are the mouse cursors and inventory/items manipulation as shown in the video below.

Read the rest of this entry »

Assemblee Days 2 and 3

I’m back with some news on the development made on days 2 and 3. There was a lot code refactoring done so there are not many new features to show but at least the code is looking better and it’s easier for me to work on it now. The video below shows the current state of the game.

Read the rest of this entry »

Assemblee Day 1

Today I begin logging the development of my entry for the TIGSource Assemble Compo Part 2. I don’t have a name for the game yet but it is going to be a first-person 3D dungeon crawler inspired by classic games like Eye of the Beholder and Lands of Lore. I plan to code it in C++ using the SDL, OpenGL and LUA libraries. With some luck I should be able to finish it by the deadline.

Read the rest of this entry »